Uncategorised

Ranty Friday: People who smoke next to prams

This week I thought I’d get involved in Ranty Friday as there’s something that’s really peed me off.

I don’t smoke. I did for about a week at the age of 16 because I thought it looked “cool”, but after starting Freud at AS Level Psychology soon gave up…Oral fixation and all that. There are many more pleasurable ways to relieve stress that don’t result in you stinking, or put you at risk of contracting a number of horrible diseases and ailments. So it really, really irritates me when smokers force their disgusting habit upon you and your baby.

I was standing at the bus stop last week, waiting to go into Brighton to meet Nick for lunch. I was the only person there until a student rocks up. She’s smoking. She proceeds to stand NEXT TO MY PRAM and continue smoking, blowing her disgusting smoke towards my baby. I was at the bus stop first. I shouldn’t have to move away. But I did. This happens so frequently; (and I noticed it during my pregnancy too) the members of the public who stand underneath the bus shelter smoking. Infecting us non-smokers with their choice. Yes it maybe cold. Yes it maybe raining. But that doesn’t mean we want to breathe in your addiction. They could argue that having a baby is our choice, but it’s another life. Not a cancer stick. A baby does not harm those around you.

I’m sorry to all those smokers out there who I’m probably annoying, or even offending, with this post. All I ask is for some consideration; if you see a pregnant woman, or a baby in a pram, or a toddler in a pushchair, please walk away from them. Please consider the health risks, the second-hand smoke you are imparting upon that life.

MummyBarrow

1. Mummy Barrow

15th February 2013 at 12:04 pm

OH MY GOD … YES

Hate that. And seeing people smoking in cars with children in the back. They make me want to stop their cars and punch them. And I am not a violent person.

1. Hannah

15th February 2013 at 10:15 pm

I know what you mean – there are certain things (smoking around children) that bring out the violent side of one!

2. Mother Of Mad Cats & 2 Babies

15th February 2013 at 12:28 pm

I hate it too. I realise that it’s not up to me, to tell someone else what to do, and if I arrive at a bus stop and someone is already there, and smoking, I will park our buggy far enough away, so we don’t get it blown over us, and I try not to be bothered, because I wasn’t there first, but when I am sat at the stop and someone comes, parks next to us, and then proceeds to light up, and blow smoke over us, it really does annoy me! My 6 year old recently had an anti-smoking thing at school, they did a whole thing on how bad smoking was etc, as part of a project. She now tends to comment, very loudly, when she sees someone smoking (usually at a bus stop) “smoking is DISGUSTING and SO bad for you”, which is a not so subtle hint to the smoker puffing all over us! πŸ™‚

1. Hannah

15th February 2013 at 10:14 pm

Hilarious – I love the subtle innocence of children! πŸ™‚

3. Corinna Pool

15th February 2013 at 1:25 pm

What bothers me is seeing parents smoking next to their child. Even seen a little one holding Dads tobacco while he was rolling it πŸ™ that is bad parenting.

1. Hannah

15th February 2013 at 10:18 pm

Seriously??? That’s disgusting!

4. The Handmade Mum

15th February 2013 at 3:22 pm

I can’ stand this too, if I had my way I’d ban them full stop they don’t do anyone any good!

1. Hannah

15th February 2013 at 10:19 pm

I know what you mean – there’s nothing worse than walking outside and being hit by a wall of cigarette smoke wherever you are.

5. Jaime Oliver

15th February 2013 at 5:46 pm

Yep i am a smoker! (my secret is out) however i dont smoke in my car or in public areas.

I hate the smell off stale smoke so i do everything to prevent it. Although i only smoke around 4 a day now a days.

I stopped altogether while pregnant and for 6 months after both my children where born.

My smoking only occurs outside the closed back door out of sight of the kids and not allowing the smoke to enter my house.

I as said smoker whole heartily agree with your post and i would never ever do any of those things.

I know my smoking is bad for my health however i do intend to stop but at the minute i am happy i dont inflict it on my children or in front of anyone so having kept to 4 i am pleased with that for the time being πŸ™‚

1. Hannah

15th February 2013 at 10:21 pm

Thank you for sharing your secret πŸ™‚ Good luck with the quitting; it’s tough – my Mutti is a smoker and she’s been wanting to quit for years with no avail.

6. Claire Evans

15th February 2013 at 7:50 pm

Yes! I hate it when parents in the park smoke while pushing prams. Saw two families doing that today in front of their kids and as we were there our kids too. Disgusting and un fair. πŸ™

1. Hannah

15th February 2013 at 10:23 pm

I think it’s an education problem. The dangers of second-hand smoke aren’t as well advertised as first-hand smoking.

7. Older Single Mum

15th February 2013 at 9:14 pm

OMG completely agree – and those people who walk and talk with fags hanging out their mouths. Ugh!

1. Hannah