Pregnancy

Allergies after pregnancy

“Aaaaaachtoooooo!”

The human body is extremely crazy and magical; we grow other humans INSIDE of us… Mind-boggling when you really think about it. I still find myself looking at Busby in awe – we made her!

Something I never knew is that it’s common to develop new allergies postpartum.

Did you know that? Me neither – thanks Google!

“Due to weakened immune function, it’s not uncommon for women to develop allergies after giving birth. As well as sudden onset of food allergies, postpartum women might also develop an allergic skin rash, pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy, also known as PUPP.” Source: Livestrong.com

So why am I writing about this? Well I have developed some FUN new allergies since giving birth.

It all began after I hurt my knee; rubbing ibuprofen gel onto the painful spot, sighing in relief as the cool tingle took over. The next day however I woke up to discover a rash on my arm, which then proceeded to spread over my entire body. Sexy.

I’ve also developed hay-fever! Something I never suffered from pre-Busby – not even as a child. Very strange.

Did you develop any allergies postpartum? Did any of your former allergies disappear? I’m really hoping my allergy to goats milk has had the decency to make itself scarce, but I’m too much of a chicken to find out!

1. The Handmade Mum

26th July 2013 at 7:40 pm

Since having Sam I have weird skin patches on my hand, doctor just thought it was eczema, but the cream I have isn’t making a difference at all, didn’t know you could develop allergies after pregnancy-the human body is odd isn’t it! xx

1. Hannah

30th July 2013 at 8:26 pm

So crazy isn’t it! Definitely worth looking at what you’ve been eating/using ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

2. Victoriaaa

28th July 2013 at 7:24 pm

I think i’ve done the opposite. My immune system seems alot better, fingers crosses, touch wood! While i was pregnant was a different story altogether however. Boo for the rash and hayfever..hayfever sucks!

1. Hannah

30th July 2013 at 8:27 pm

Aww ๐Ÿ™

My immune system is definitely better – it’s just new allergies! xx

3. dinkythinks

29th July 2013 at 8:36 pm

Ah I have the hand skin patches thing too…. its not nice at all…. yucky!

1. Hannah

30th July 2013 at 8:27 pm

Not nice ๐Ÿ™ xx

4. Stephanie Wesley

9th February 2014 at 8:51 pm

Four weeks into my first pregnancy, I developed allergies to pollen/dust/mold. I went to stay with my boyfriend and started sneezing nonstop. Anytime I was there in bed I would sneeze nonstop and I was always congested.

We found out that someone had forgotten to clean up a spilled drink under his bed before he moved into his brother’s house and there was mold growing, which was what set off my allergies I guess.

My child is four years old now and my allergies are still here and it’s annoying.

5. fatimah

1st May 2015 at 6:29 pm

Yes, I have allergies after giving birth too! I just avoid high histamine food that can give me itch. It is worth it! My fingers recover quicker. Good luck!