Top tips for expectant first time Mothers
(This post should be called: What you’ll miss once you’re a Mutti.)
Pregnant with your first baby? Read my top tips below!
1. Enjoy having soft, supple hands. That will change pretty pronto once you start washing your hands constantly.
2. Reading. Go to bed with a book. Read, read, read! I think I’ve read two books since giving birth… Pre-Busby I read at least one a week.
3. Watching films. Cinema or DVD – watch as much as you can without interruptions! Although you’ll probably find the cinema unappealing when you’re heavily pregnant (nothing brings on Braxton Hicks like sitting in an uncomfortable chair for 3 hours).
4. Alone time. This is probably the thing I miss most about my “former life”. I’m not very good at being constantly sociable; I need my own time and space every day otherwise I get a bit crazy. However, you don’t get a whole lot of alone time as a new parent. Enjoy it while you still can – even if it’s going to the park and eating a sandwich by yourself.
5. Couple time. I’m not talking about sexy time, although, if you feel like it then go for it. No, I’m talking about going out for dinner just the two of you, going for an evening stroll, holding hands… hugging! When Baby first arrives these things take a backseat whilst you panic and sob hormonally.
6. Take advantage of the detox. Yes, it’s frustrating at times. I found weddings the hardest; all that free booze and watching your partner enjoy the champagne, or the amazing wine that has been specially selected to go with the very tasty food… But there are other times, like waking up on a Saturday/Sunday morning without a hangover, that are liberating! You’ll find that you can do so much more with your day, and you feel generally brighter.
7. Enjoy being able to eat lots of cake. One morning I came into my office and found three pieces of cake waiting for me. Being pregnant is the only time you’re able to eat all three pieces and not feel like a horrific fatty. Embrace the cake; your growing baby will thank you.
8. Get as much sleep as you possibly can. I know this is obvious, and not necessarily easy! But have a lie in – you won’t be able to have one for a while…
9. Haircuts, massages and beautifying. Do these AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! Finding time/someone to look after baby whilst you beautify is tough. Also, having enough energy to be bothered to do these things is rare.
10. Enjoy it! It’s easy to feel fed up when you’re pregnant, but you’re only pregnant with your first child once in life, so make the most of the silence, the time with your partner, and the beautiful Bump! You’ll miss it once it’s gone.
ps. You might also like Top tips for expectant first time Fathers – written by my Other Half.