What’s in your changing bag? // Amy from 2 Boys 1 Mum
Hello and welcome to “What’s in your changing bag?”; my weekly Tuesday feature where I ask one Yummy Mummy (or Daddy) to share the innermost secrets of their changing bag, and the five items they couldn’t possibly live without!
Today I’m joined by lovely new Blogger, Amy.
Hi Amy! Please can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Hello, I’m Amy! I’m a children’s nurse and a mum to Boy1 (19 months) and Boy2 (1 month). I’m married to “BoyDad” a beer brewing physics enthusiast with a penchant for board games. We were also ‘parents’ to 4 chickens until Boy2 was born and my mother in law adopted them as we had too many mouths to feed!
What would you say is your favourite thing about being a Mama?
The pre-nap cuddles where my big grown up boy becomes my baby again and snuggles in close to his “mamaaa”.
What would you say is the hardest thing?
At the moment I’m struggling with having to share myself between the two boys. It’s so hard not being able to give them both my undivided attention.
That must be super tough.
What three words would you use to describe Motherhood?
Relentless, emotional, selfless.
Great choice of words.
How do you preserve/maintain your sense of self?
I really enjoy blogging; it forces me to spend at least a few hours a week using my brain and interacting with adults (even if it is all about the babies!) Before Boy2 arrived I also really relished going to classes at the gym and doing something just for myself. I never thought I’d say this but I am looking forward to getting back into exercising (once the newborn sleep deprivation stage has passed!)
So, the last question before we find out about your changing bag; if you could share one piece of Motherhoodly wisdom with us all what would it be?
Never google at night. It’s so tempting to trawl the Internet all night long searching for the answers to your problems (about feeding, sleeping, crying, poo colour and consistency or whether or not his belly button should look like that). Just don’t. It always made me more worried than before I started!
Haha! Too true!
Ok, it’s business time: what make is your changing bag?
My changing bag is the freebie from Boots. My husband has been at home with us since Boy1 was born and it used to drive me mad when he’d empty the contents of my beautiful girly change bag into a rucksack so we compromised and are both happy to carry this little black number around. It also seems to be the perfect size, neither too big nor too small and has 2 outer pockets, one for each size of nappy!
What are the five items in your changing bag that you just can’t live without?
1. Screwdriver. Boy1 loves to do everything his Daddy does, especially DIY. This little screwdriver keeps him occupied with “fixing” if we ever have to wait anywhere.
2. Emergency Satsuma. I always carry one with me in case the call for “ORAAAA” goes up. Once the boy decides he needs an orange there’s no going back… If we leave the house without one he can sense it!
3. Bottle of water. I’m breastfeeding Boy2 and always get thirsty so carry a big bottle of water around for feeding on the go.
4. Muslin. Boy2 is not a sicky baby but I still carry a muslin with me. I use it to protect his clothes (and the change mat) from the rogue wee’s that he regularly does as soon as I undo his nappy! It can also be used to dry swing seats and slides when we’re at the park, or to mop up ‘spilled’ (intentionally tipped up) juice from Boy1.
5. Comb. I got a new “yummy mummy” hair do just before giving birth to Boy2. I absolutely love it but in current weather I get terrible ‘hat hair’ so need to carry a comb with me at all times. It doubles as yet more distraction/entertainment for B1 as he loves playing hair dressers!
Thanks for sharing the contents of your changing bag with us, Amy. I love that you carry the screwdriver everywhere!
Amy blogs at 2boys1mum and tweets as @2boys1mum.