What’s in your changing bag? // Kate from Family Fever
Hello and welcome to “What’s in your changing bag?”; my weekly Tuesday feature where I ask one Yummy Mummy (or Daddy) to share the innermost secrets of their changing bag, and the five items they couldn’t possibly live without!
This week I’m joined by lovely Kate from Family Fever!
Hi Kate! What a fab photo!
Please can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Hi, I’m Kate and I am mummy to Gemma who is 8, Jacob who is 6 and Max who is 11 months. I am a part time writer for Mumii and Pushchair Trader, and when I am not doing that, or blogging (or chasing a reluctant child into the bath), I am a lover of chocolate, a good book and music.
Haha wonderful! What a lovely brood you have!
What is your favourite thing about being a Mama?
I don’t think there is just one thing I could put my finger on, it’s the whole experience, watching your tiny helpless newborn grow and blossom into a walking, talking person with their own opinions and take on the world.
What would you say is the hardest thing about being a Mama?
The loss of identity. I sometimes forget who ‘me’ is – every day I am just “Mummy”, and you can forget about the person behind that persona.
What three words would you use to describe Motherhood?
Tough, rewarding and inspirational.
Great choice of words!
How does you preserve/maintain your sense of self?
Like I said before, I do find that hard, but I find the best way to rediscover ‘me’ is to have a chat with a friend – whether that is online, on the phone or in person, I think friends can remind you that you are not just Mummy, but a valued person in your own right.
So, the last question before we find out about your changing bag; if you could share one piece of Motherhoodly wisdom with us all, what would it be?
Don’t be fooled by the ‘perfect’ mummy – there is no such person. We all make mistakes, we all have days where we feel like hiding under the bed, but we are all doing the best we can – and that’s really all that matters.
It’s business time; what make is your changing bag?
I have a few, but my current favourite is a Pink Lining Not so Plain Jane bag in peppermint bows. I love it – it’s pretty without being too girly, and it is so practical too. Wipe clean, spacious and with lots of pockets!
Ooh it’s so pretty!
What are the five items in your changing bag that you just can’t live without?
1. Baby wipes. They are not just for bottoms! They come in handy for sticky hands and faces, cleaning clothes after a fall in a muddy puddle, wiping biscuit off the pushchair – the list is endless!
2. Nappies. I never ever leave the house without a handful of nappies. I did that once, thinking it would be fine as I was only popping down to the shop for 5 minutes. One explosive poo incident later, and I vowed never again to venture out without at least one nappy!
3. Muslins. Another multi purpose item, useful for mopping up baby sick, spilt drinks and leaking bottles, as well as coming in handy as a sunshade, changing mat and blanket.
4. Purse. You never know when you might need it – to buy bread and milk, ice-creams or an emergency nappy and sleepsuit if you have one of the aforementioned poo incidents.
5. Snacks. For me and the children. Nothing worse than being hungry lol.
Thanks for sharing the contents of your changing bag with us, Kate! I totally agree about needing snacks! Busby and I get very hangry…
Kate blogs at Family Fever and tweets as @FamilyFever.