Pregnancy

Pregnancy // 10 things nobody tells you about being Pregnant… with a Toddler in tow (First Trimester)

The First Trimester is never a walk in the park, and I’ve discovered over the past few months that it’s even more difficult with a Toddler in tow…
pregnant with toddler in tow 1. Dealing with dirty nappies whilst suffering from morning sickness is the worst form of torture known to womankind. There’s nothing quite like an especially messy poonami to make you feel even better! Top tip: it’s a good idea to keep a bowl or bucket next to the changing mat. Just in case.

2. After never showing an interest in jumping on you before, your Toddler is suddenly drawn to your newly-rounding stomach area as a potential trampoline. With the terrible twos on the horizon, she will then throw an epic tantrum when you refuse to let her jump on your bump.

3. Your Toddler will threaten to drop naptime just when you need it the most, and tease you with a Will I? Won’t I? scenario… until she finally conks out at 5pm. Just in time for dinner.

4. The unborn child growing in your stomach suddenly decides that tea is off the menu… just as your Toddler decides that midnight raving is fun again.

5. A fit of Toddler crying provokes your fragile emotional state into sobbing too. Cue your Husband arriving home from work to find the two of you crying your eyes out… and promptly making himself a large G&T before dealing with the pair of you… which results in more hysterical crying from you. Because you can’t have a G&T.

6. Your Toddler catches all manner of spotty viruses from Nursery, which results in panicked Googling of spot size and symptoms to see whether you should keep your distance from your firstborn and ask the Husband to take Carers leave, or whether you’re allowed to comfort them, spend the day watching CBeebies snuggled up on the sofa, and administering the calpol.

7. You kept your pregnancy a secret from everyone but your parents when you had your firstborn, but you’re thankful for a handful of close Mummy friends knowing this time round; they understand, they’re more than happy to indulge in a Mummy/Toddler lunch date at the same restaurant three weeks running due to cravings, and they won’t judge you (too much) if you pinch their gherkins at lunch, or if you order the most bizarre pizza topping combination…!

8. Your television viewing is rather different this time round, and will leave your fragile emotional state more susceptible to pregnancy tears. Captain Jack’s Christmas special, for example, is bound to make you sob… and don’t even get me started on The Snowman and the Snowdog.

9. Your Toddler takes everything you say literally, which means Baby Brain + Toddler aren’t a match made in harmony… Saying to your Toddler “the cakes are in the fridge” when you meant “oven” will result in a very confused little face. Unless you did put them in the fridge to bake. Which, when suffering from Baby Brain, is entirely possible.

10. Nothing quite beats the moment when your Toddler walks over to you and whispers to your belly “Hello Baby – how are you?”. Your heart melts. And you’re probably crying again.
heart bump Hannah

1. Katie

9th January 2015 at 8:49 am

That’s so funny. And lovely. Hate to be laughing when it’s been such hard work for you though! Xx
    Katie recently posted…3 Things to do in JanuaryMy Profile

1. Hannah

12th January 2015 at 12:23 pm

Thanks Katie 🙂 It is hard work – but it’s so worth it! xx

2. ClearlyBex

9th January 2015 at 12:41 pm

This post has had me cringing, laughing and crying within seconds of each other… i’m not even pregnant but I can relate to this post 100%! Regarding number 7, I remember a friend being pregnant and we ended up in Pizza hut 5 times in one month!! #Result
    ClearlyBex recently posted…Word Of The Week – 9/1/15My Profile

1. Hannah

12th January 2015 at 12:18 pm

That’s a huge win!

Thank you so much for your lovely comment 🙂 xx

3. Another Bun

10th January 2015 at 6:37 am

Oh my goodness, this is all SO true. The nappies really were a killer for me x
    Another Bun recently posted…#littleloves My WeekMy Profile

1. Hannah

12th January 2015 at 12:19 pm

The nappies are truly the worst! I’m not sure how I got through it… other than the bucket and attempting to pinch my nose! xx

4. Amy

10th January 2015 at 9:21 am

Sorry to be laughing but the way you wrote this is just so relatable and I’m not even pregnant!
    Brilliant post and I hope you start to feel better xx
    Amy recently posted…Scarlett | 10 Month UpdateMy Profile

1. Hannah

12th January 2015 at 12:19 pm

5. Brighton Mama

10th January 2015 at 12:31 pm

Ahh, it seems so tough but such a precious exciting period at the same time. I have a couple of friends in the same position – pregnant with toddlers in tow. The second trimester is much better it seems, they have more energy than me!
    Brighton Mama recently posted…A new year, new hopes, new challengesMy Profile

1. Hannah

12th January 2015 at 12:20 pm

Second trimester energy is starting to kick in (finally), but it comes in waves… If Toddler decides she’ll wake up pre-7am I’m lost for the day! xx

6. A Cornish Mum

10th January 2015 at 8:59 pm

Aw I love this post! My sons have a 19 month age gap so can definitely relate to this post!
    Now they’re almost 9 and 10 and a half they’re mostly best friends though ☺

1. Hannah

12th January 2015 at 12:21 pm

Aww that’s lovely 🙂 thanks for your comment! xx

7. Kaz (Ickle Pickles Mummy)

10th January 2015 at 9:31 pm

All very true! I had three under 6 which looking back I have no idea how I did it! Pickle arrived after a ten year gap, and I cherished every second of my pregnancy. Good luck with the rest of yours x
    Kaz (Ickle Pickles Mummy) recently posted…#365 Week 2/52My Profile

1. Hannah

12th January 2015 at 12:21 pm

Thanks Kaz 🙂 I bet it was nice to have more of a rest in your 4th pregnancy! xx

8. Verily Victoria Vocalises

10th January 2015 at 11:32 pm

Utterly brilliant post – and I have to say that I am kinda glad that Grace will be older when it does happen! Loving the last one though, SO cute. Thank you for linking to #PoCoLo (and I don’t know if I have said it before, but congratulations xx).
    Verily Victoria Vocalises recently posted…Project 365 – 5th to 10th January 2015My Profile

1. Hannah

12th January 2015 at 12:22 pm

Thanks so much Vic 🙂 xx

9. Astrid

11th January 2015 at 10:08 am

I must say I actually laughed at your description of some of them. I’ve never been pregnant so can’t relate though. I’m glad you have some Mummy friends aroudn to support you. #PoCoLo
    Astrid recently posted…Moving On: Moving in With My Husband, MaybeMy Profile

10. Kgomotso

12th January 2015 at 11:36 am

This was both funny and sweet at the same time! Congratulations!
    Kgomotso recently posted…Room on the broomMy Profile

11. Notmyyearoff

19th January 2015 at 3:55 am

This is so so funny and cute. I only have the Z but can completely imagine him being like this 🙂
    Notmyyearoff recently posted…Silent Sunday / Project 52 – Week 3My Profile

12. Mummy's to do list

20th January 2015 at 4:12 pm

Ah, I remember it well. Our second little bundle of joy is now a not-so-little six months old. That said, the toddler still sometimes fails to grasp that mummy doesn’t have another ‘baby in her tummy!’. Or maybe I just look like I still do!