Mama Style, Motherhood

Mama Style // The Mama Uniform

Mama Style // The Mama Uniform

It began in a very unconscious manner, but once I’d begun I realised that this was the way forward:

The way to successfully dress myself in something vaguely resembling ‘normal’ (whatever that may be) daily.

The way to successfully dress myself without having to engage my brain pre the five-cups-of-tea-and-a-large-gingerbread-latte that it takes for me to function as a reasonably normal human-being.

The way to successfully dress myself in a manner that was practical, but kind of cool.

I’d created my very own Mama Uniform.

Mama Style // The Mama Uniform

It all started when I discovered a pair of jeggings in Sainsbury’s (I know, not the coolest joint in town) which had an elasticated waist. Gosh, what a revelation that was. And ever-so forgiving on the paunch of Mummy-tummy that still remains from carrying my two babies. No longer did I have to worry about whether my jeans would do up in the morning! Hurrah! I bought three pairs in different shades.

Then came the discovery of Selfish Mother and their awesome tops (which support some fabulous charities, so it’s guilt-free shopping). Just like a school uniform, my top half stated the institution I now belong to. And I’m exceedingly proud to belong to the Mother Club.

Motherhood // 10 things I wish someone had told me about postpartum life

Teamed with a teething necklace for shiggles *cough necessity cough*, my uniform was complete, and I must say it’s made getting dressed every day so much easier!

No longer do I spend my mornings pawing through my wardrobe, mourning my pre-baby body, whilst looking for something that is practical to wear for crawling around on the floor all day. Something that will inevitably be covered in snot, paint, and banana by the end of the day.

I can use those precious extra minutes to make myself another cup of tea which will be left on the side to go cold, or sit on the sofa and laugh at the awfully inappropriate names of In The Night Garden episodes, whilst Busby asks me to draw circles on her hand with my finger, and H-Bear uses my nose as a teething implement.

I’ve since added dungarees to the equation, because they’re pretty awesome, and also the front pockets are very handy for storing teething gels and granules, as well as tissues. Winning.

the mama uniform

Tea and coffee are obviously further accessories (see first photo, and every other capture on my Instagram account).

Other future editions to my Mama Uniform will (hopefully) include:

Mama Style // The Mama Uniform1. Good Yawning jumper from Parent Apparel // 2. Mama Jumper from Selfish Mother // 3. Winging it tee from Selfish Mother // 4. Not your basic Mumma tee from Cribstar.

Do you have a Mama Uniform? If so, what does it include?

1. Morgana

22nd February 2016 at 11:22 am

Yes! This is so me! With doing school runs and working from home my wardrobe has massively changed compared to what it was pre-kids. I’m much more about comfort and style these days 😉 I practically live in my Topshop dungarees and Mother top! xx
    Morgana recently posted…Laughing at Deadpool, relaxing and half term treats #LittleLovesMy Profile

2. Alex

22nd February 2016 at 5:19 pm

Hehe. I don’t have a uniform persay but my main tip is planning what I’m going to wear the day before and laying it out. That way I don’t have to think in the morning. And yes that does mean often checking the weather forecast for the next day in advance! Haha. I usually wear dresses and bright tights. It makes me happy. x
    Alex recently posted…Funky Kid FridayMy Profile

3. Debs

23rd February 2016 at 3:21 am

I don’t think I have a mama uniform as such, although a couple of pairs of jeans that my post baby body can just about fit in are pretty standard for me! Tops are a bit tricky as I umm and ahh whether it is suitable to breastfeed in 🙂 The tops look great on you! I love all of the pics in your post. May just have to treat myself! xx

4. areluctantmummy

23rd February 2016 at 8:30 am

My mum uniform used to be exclusively nursing clothes. Then I became more slovenly and my wardrobe consisted of anything I could wap a boob out in.

Having torn my bullet nipples from the jaws of my second child permanently, I am now found adorned in anything that is loose from the waist down, accessorised by mushed banana. Or porridge if I’m lucky.

Your uniform is great. You look like a goddess.

5. Kelly | To Become Mum

23rd February 2016 at 8:55 am

I have a very similar mumiform too! And I’ve just added dungarees to it, because I also think they’re awesome. I have a few of the Selfish Mother tips on my wishlist (perhaps Mother’s Day?) so we could be twins. Add some Converse and we’re done!

6. Maddy

24th February 2016 at 8:52 am

I have 5 pairs of elasticated waist harem pants from next after getting one pair and then needing ALL THE HAREM PANTS! In the house it’s vest top and no bra. Out the house, I may put my bra on… Or if it’s cold my big coat covers everything anyway. Ahhh, comfort 🙂

7. Colette

24th February 2016 at 10:18 pm

Love your dungarees, I’d still look pregnant if I wore them though lol. Not a good look if your youngest is two ..
    Colette recently posted…Things we learned this half term . . .My Profile

8. Sarah | Digital Motherhood

27th February 2016 at 7:34 pm

My Mama Uniform is pretty much skinny jeans and either a jumper or shirt! I used to spend ages shopping and trying different styles but I just don’t have the time or energy any more. I also find that since being a mummy, comfort overrules anything else when it comes to what clothes I put on!
    Sarah | Digital Motherhood recently posted…World Book Day – Easy Last Minute Costume IdeasMy Profile