Baking is one of our favourite family activities, so when Ella’s Kitchen sent us their brand new The Easy Family Cookbook, we eagerly thumbed our way through the pages in search of something delicious to recreate.
There are SO many yummy looking recipes, from breakfasts, all the way through to big family feasts!
Time hasn’t been in great supply over the past few weeks with a fair few family emergencies, work commitments and tons of exciting adventures… so when I stumbled across the recipe for Mmmm… Macaroons, I knew it would be the perfect one for us to try. This recipe is super quick – and we were munching on macaroons with a cup of tea within the hour.
I love macaroons. They remind me of the bakers in my mum’s village, where they (still!) sell them for 16p each, and every bite is one of heaven and nostalgia. Over Christmas we bought a paper bag of them to take over to my best friend’s house – but Busby and I ate most of them before we got there! Oops!
The original recipe says that it makes 12 macaroons, but we only managed to get 10 out of this batch.
Mmmm… Macaroons. Makes 10-12.
85g unsweetened, desiccated coconut.
30g ground almonds
30g caster sugar
2 large egg whites
Glacier cherries or blueberries to top (original recipe states sour cherries – but I couldn’t find any… plus glacier cherries add to the nostalgia)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line baking tray with baking paper.
2. Mix together the coconut, ground almonds and sugar in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites until frothy. I used the balloon whisk on our Kitchen Aid to do this on setting 4-6.
4. Gently fold in the coconut mixture until fully combined.
5. Form in macaroon-shaped mounds.
6. Top with cherry or blueberry.
7. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until light golden, and leave to cool slightly (and firm) on the baking tray before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
Yum! These were a hit with everyone!
The Easy Family Cookbook retails at £14.99, and so far I’ve been impressed. I can’t wait to try more recipes from the book. Next on my list is the Hummingbird Cake, which I’m going to adapt so H-Bear can have it too.
Pin me – save me for later!