Every year I put together a Christmas-themed childrenswear wish list featuring some of my favourite independent brands, but this year I’ve decided to do things a bit differently!
I asked seven amazing creators, designers and makers of British childrenswear three Christmas-related questions. I thought it would be lovely to learn a little more about the person/people behind the shop.
Every single one of these ladies below is a Mum with her own business, so please check out their shops because it’s a well-known fact that every time you buy from an independent maker or retailer, they do a little dance.
A few of the brands have included a cheeky little 10% off code as well!
So here we go…
1. What is your favourite Christmas song or carol?
2. What is your favourite part of Christmas Dinner (be it food or tradition)?
3. What is your favourite item in your Christmas shop?
Mary, Bear & Babe
10% Discount Code: MDAP10 (valid until 11:59pm on Sunday 19th November 2017)
(H-Bear’s acorn hooded romper in the accompanying photos is from Bear & Babe).
1. It has to be ‘I wish it could be Christmas everyday” by Wizzard. When it comes on, I can’t help jumping around like a fool, and now I have sprogs to jump around with me!
2. Hmmmm… I love food… this is hard! I think it would have to be when we have our fake Christmas down South (back home in Kent) every year and we make proper pork, sausage meat stuffing. It’s the only time of the year we get to have it; I don’t know why – I just never make it when I do a roast! My sister and I are always fighting over it – or I just try and get the job of making it for Christmas Dinner so I can eat it from the pan!
3. My favourite item… I’m so happy that I’ve brought back the Christmas fabrics from last year, as there’s quite a bit of nostalgia there for me – and it reminds me how far this company has come. However, I think my favourite thing has to be the woodland animal romper.
Jo, Maple & Pea
10% Discount Code: MAPLECHRISTMAS10 (valid on the Geo Christmas Tree Print Tees & Vests until 11.59pm on Saturday 18th November 2017)
1. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues.
2. My mum’s homemade Christmas crackers. She spends most of the year hunting for gifts for each of us that are small enough to fit into a cracker. It might be a lip balm, or a miniature boozy drink, but they’re always with us in mind and really special.
3. This is a tough one, but this year I’m particularly proud of my new screen printed designs. I do have a soft spot for the little vests.
Stacey & Jennifer, We Are Scamp
1. Hark the Herald.
2. My mum’s Christmas stuffing, which is a Scottish special (and an acquired taste!) but we love it! Mixed together with bread sauce… yum!
3. Our current favourite items are our sweatshirts. They have perfect messages for kids (and adults) on them – and are available in a very festive metallic gold! (Busby is wearing the neon yellow version below, which we featured here back in June.)
Abi, Savannah & Skye
10% Discount Code: MAKEDOANDPUSHXMAS (valid on whole shop until 25th November 2017)
1. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues. It’s gritty and real, and makes me think of Dublin where I went to University and spent much of my early working life.
2. I grew up in a vegetarian household, and I love that Christmas Dinner was different every year. Lavish and extravagant, but never traditional.
3. My favourite Christmas item has to be our Crimson Red Pinafore dress. It is such a rich, Christmas red and hangs beautifully. It’s so easy to dress up with a festive blouse or tights, but also perfect to wear anytime of year with leggings and a long sleeved t-shirt.
Becky, Magnificent Stanley
1. My favourite carol is ‘Oh come all ye faithful’ as I’m a sucker for the descant.
2. The best thing about Christmas Dinner are the roast potatoes!
3. My favourite items in the Christmas shop are the Christmas tree bodysuits; they’re so special for a first Christmas!
Leigha, Mini Medley
1. My favourite Christmas song is ‘Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas’ by Judy Garland.
2. My favourite thing about Christmas Dinner is the ‘Cracker Hat Game’: first one to remove their Christmas hat has to clear the plates!
3. My favourite item in my Christmas shop is my polar bear Fair Isle snuggle set.
Charlotte, Jade, Aimee & Becky, Rockets and Rainbows
1. ‘Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas’ by Judy Garland.
2. Crackers! Wearing the silly hats that don’t do anyone justice, and seeing how many roast potatoes you can get on your plate!
3. We love everything in our Christmas shop – especially our personalised items.
Thank you so much to everyone involved in this post. Wishing you all (a rather early) Merry Christmas!