We are a family of foodies, so when HelloFresh offered to send us their brand new Family Box to try for two weeks, I couldn’t resist!
If you’ve not heard of HelloFresh before, then you’re in for a treat! HelloFresh is a weekly recipe box, full of easy, fresh and exciting recipes.
You can choose between 2-4 meals a week within the Family Box option, and these are designed for 2 adults and 2 children. The box comes with everything you need to make the meals – all excellent quality, fresh ingredients. We have been so impressed.
We are now onto our third week of boxes, having signed up after our blogging trial finished because we loved it all so much! Every meal has been delicious and our resident chef, Nick, has enjoyed working his way through the different recipes.
The boxes are delivered by Yodel, and you receive a text message the morning of delivery to give you an estimated delivery time. The produce comes in fully recyclable packaging – even the cool bag is recyclable! Each meal is colour coded, and the bags inside the box have stickers with corresponding colours on so you know which bag is for which meal. It’s a great system – although, depending on the meal, some of the contents (such as fresh herbs) do need to go in the fridge.
Each meal comes with a beautifully designed recipe card, with a comprehensive, easy to follow six step recipe, and nutritional details. The recipe card is also hole-punctured so you can keep it in a folder to use again.
As the children are still quite small and go to bed at 7pm, and also because a number of the recipes contain milk and soya (which H-Bear can’t have), we’ve been cooking the recipes for just the two of us – or four of us if Nick’s parents have been here for dinner. This has meant that we’ve had plenty for dinner, plus extra for lunch – and sometimes dinner the next night – too.
Even though our children haven’t been joining in with the meals, the Family Box recipes are definitely all ‘child-friendly’, and Busby has had a couple of the pasta dishes reheated for dinner the next day. We have a roast chicken dish this week that we might save for lunch on Sunday, so we can enjoy it together.
There are so many things we love about the HelloFresh boxes, so I’ve created a little list below!:
- No food waste. Because you are sent the exact quantities of everything that you need for the dish, food waste is at a minimum; you don’t have jars or extra vegetables sitting around in the fridge to go off.
- Leftovers. We love a leftover in this house, and because the portion sizes are so generous in the Family Box, we’ve been having amazing lunches the day after the meal the night before!
- Every dish is delicious. We’ve had a couple of dishes which ordinarily we wouldn’t have thought to make, but that have ended up being fantastic. The pan-fried tilapia was one of these – I turned my nose up at the recipe initially, but I ended up going back for seconds!
- Excellent quality produce. The meat, fresh vegetables/herbs and even dry items have all been superb quality. Nick has been very excited to be cooking with such fantastic produce.
- Would be great on a self-catering holiday. Nick and I were chatting to his parents about our next adventure to the Lake District last week, and we were saying that the HelloFresh boxes would be ideal for a self-catering holiday. It would save you having to buy full jars of herbs etc whilst away (because they’re rarely provided aren’t they?) and because you can opt for 2-4 meals, you still have the flexibility to be able to go out for dinner too.
As I’ve said above, we’ve continued with the boxes because we’ve been so impressed. Each meal is delicious, fresh and different.
After a few months in a food rut, we find ourselves excited about dinner every night again! It’s also inspired us to try new things – such as roasted broccoli, which was so simple but insanely scrummy.
The HelloFresh Family Box costs £63.99 for four meals (£53.99 for three meals), and they often have special offers on boxes. Find out more on the HelloFresh website.